Nothing quite like the first day of the new year, when everything seems absolutely obtainable and fantastic. I made the best $10 investment ever last week and bought a collapsible stepstool for Sierra to use in the kitchen and now she can get her own bowl out of the cupboard and fix herself cereal for breakfast (she usually eats one bowl at 7 a.m. and another at 9 a.m.) so I've been able to sleep in late the last few days YAAAAY. We had delicious lunch at the truck stop which included black-eyed pea soup so now I feel like I've got some extra luck :D
My nose is still sort of wonky from having an awful headcold last week. Every so often I get a bad sinus/cold thing and it either kills my sense of smell for a few days or messes it up completely. Apparently my nose is messed up because everything smells like something else. Last night pizza rolls smelled like buttered brussel sprouts. Today a cardamom and cloves scented candle at the bookstore smelled like plumeria flowers. It's sort of entertaining and annoying all at once. Hoping it goes away soon, because it's awfully hard to cook food like this O_o
But yesterday I joined Fitocracy which is sort of like a cross between Facebook and Xbox Live for fitness. I really had zero expectations for this site but so far I like it a lot. I'm not so much for the social networking/broadcasting (really, do I need to make a Twitter announcement every time I do a set of crunches? Really?) so I skip those options but I do enjoy the "Quests" they set out for you, since most of my problem is deciding what/when to work out. If anyone's interested, I'll give more updates as I go on with the site in the future.
ALSO on the subject of fitness, I found A 5K ZOMBIE OBSTACLE RACE that I absolutely, positively want to try. I've kicked around the idea of a 5K before (when I helped my bro-in-law train for the Border Patrol academy we ran 3-4 miles a day) but never liked competing against "real" runners. NOW I CAN COMPETE FOR SURVIVAL. For some reason this really, REALLY pleases me. They've got one scheduled in October in San Diego, which is only about 6 or 7 hours away from me, so that might be really fun.
My nose is still sort of wonky from having an awful headcold last week. Every so often I get a bad sinus/cold thing and it either kills my sense of smell for a few days or messes it up completely. Apparently my nose is messed up because everything smells like something else. Last night pizza rolls smelled like buttered brussel sprouts. Today a cardamom and cloves scented candle at the bookstore smelled like plumeria flowers. It's sort of entertaining and annoying all at once. Hoping it goes away soon, because it's awfully hard to cook food like this O_o
But yesterday I joined Fitocracy which is sort of like a cross between Facebook and Xbox Live for fitness. I really had zero expectations for this site but so far I like it a lot. I'm not so much for the social networking/broadcasting (really, do I need to make a Twitter announcement every time I do a set of crunches? Really?) so I skip those options but I do enjoy the "Quests" they set out for you, since most of my problem is deciding what/when to work out. If anyone's interested, I'll give more updates as I go on with the site in the future.
ALSO on the subject of fitness, I found A 5K ZOMBIE OBSTACLE RACE that I absolutely, positively want to try. I've kicked around the idea of a 5K before (when I helped my bro-in-law train for the Border Patrol academy we ran 3-4 miles a day) but never liked competing against "real" runners. NOW I CAN COMPETE FOR SURVIVAL. For some reason this really, REALLY pleases me. They've got one scheduled in October in San Diego, which is only about 6 or 7 hours away from me, so that might be really fun.
no subject
Date: 2012-01-02 05:38 am (UTC)I hope your nose gets better soon!
no subject
Date: 2012-01-02 07:36 pm (UTC)Thanks for the well wishes!
no subject
Date: 2012-01-02 12:58 pm (UTC)I also hope your nose is better soon!
no subject
Date: 2012-01-02 07:38 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2012-01-03 05:00 am (UTC)...assuming these were actual zombies. Aheh.
no subject
Date: 2012-01-03 11:35 pm (UTC)I'm just going to spend the entire 5K muttering to myself, "notrealzombiesnotrealzombiesnotrealzombiesAAAAAAIIIIIEEEEEEE"
no subject
Date: 2012-01-02 03:18 pm (UTC)also yay on the step stoo thing so you can sleep, nothing better than sleeping in and enhancing her independence :-)
no subject
Date: 2012-01-02 07:39 pm (UTC)Yeah, I'm really happy she's doing things for herself more and more. Mostly we waited until we were sure she wasn't going to drop/break dishes so that's always a plus :D